Invitations for all you 80’s Lovers

 

A few years back, a friend asked me for some help with invites for her upcoming engagement party. Her fiance’s favorite song (ever!) was a-ha’s “Take On Me.” She very much wanted the song’s music video’s aesthetic to transfer in some way over to the invites. In case you are too young to know why this would make for such a cool visual, I direct your attention here before you finish reading this blog:

 

She sent me some of their engagement photos, specifically this image: DSC_0298 (2)

 

I put this through Photoshop, cutting out just the bride’s figure. When I was left with just her image, I reprinted it out onto paper a bit more agreeable for a pencil than regular printer paper. I worked in the groom’s image first, then went about trying to recreate the music video.

 

When I finished the final image, I scanned it and sent the bride a high-resolution image for her to pass onto a printing service. This was the image she sent to all her party-goers:

 

 

Admittedly, I could have done a bit better with the background. But they seemed happy with the results, at least. Inside the message read,”Our a-ha moment came when she agreed to take on me.”

Advertisements

Upcycled Bridesmaid Dress

I have too many bridesmaid dresses. They’re perfectly nice when you wear them at our friend’s wedding, but in the end they always end up in the back of a closet collecting dust. Bride’s try to reassure you when you buy the dress that “It’s totally reusable! It will make a fine cocktail dress!” It won’t. It will always look like a bridesmaid dress. (Side note: I’m pretty sure I told my own bridesmaids the same lie. Sorry!)

So, now I am on a mission of dismantling  these dusty gowns for parts. First up:

Sam and I after too many mimosas at a Brunch-Time Wedding

 

Once again, a perfectly nice dress. But, really, where else could I wear this but at a wedding? More specifically, that top? I bet you’re eyeing up that lovely tulle skirt. The material and that color!

I wish this post was about my mad sewing skills.  Its not. Its about my Mom’s mad sewing skills! I went to my Mom with what I wanted and she was able to finish it within a day.

First, she detached the top. Its the top that lets you know this is a bridesmaid dress. It had to go. She took a half inch of the material layers where she cut and flipped them inward to create a waistband.

The original zipper crossed both the bodice and skirt, so she had to cut that in half. She sealed the ends and reused the zipper pull tab for the skirt’s zipper.

And that’s all it took. So I went to a local thrift store and found a sweater to match the skirt.

Good bye bridesmaid dress, hello something I can reuse.

Flash Medal Box

 

I gave Sam this as an anniversary present a few years back. Running medals had accumulated in small piles on his nightstand, on his desk and sometimes in between the sofa seat cushions. He needed to organize! His running buddy is my sister, who I discovered had been using a small decoupaged box I gave her years ago to hold all her medals. In fact, I’ve now had to make her a few to hold all the medals she’s won. Naturally, this gave me an idea for Sam.

Sam is a big comic book fan, so of course, I had to make this from a superhero know for running. I gathered up supplies from his own collection and my trusty bottle of Mod Podge.

   

One thing I do different when I decoupage is that I rarely use the original item in the finished project. I have a pretty fine scanner that I use to make copies of the images I want. This way I can size things the way I want them (and I don’t destroy any of Sam’s comics). I usually scan them in at a high resolution, then re-size them, and finally print them all out (on as few sheets as possible) on card stock paper.

Using scissors and an Exacto knife, I figured out my layout onto a pine box I bought at Michaels. I painted the box black before I covered it, assuming that some of the box would be showing through.

Once I figured my layout, I used the Mod Podge on the box and the backs of the pieces to place them onto to the box. When the box was covered, I used the Mod Podge to cover the whole box, using enough coats that none of the original pieces were sticking up anywhere. It has a nice, smooth feeling when its done.

Around the edge of the lid, I simply painted the box red. The color matched with most of the images and I thought it gave it a nice cohesiveness.

 

  

Sam has been using this box now for a few years, and pretty soon I will have to make him a new one. Personally, I just don’t get running, but Sam shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon.